Catastrophe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catastrophe

Community forum for the Flag Catastrophe on the Hunter Ocean of YPP Puzzle Pirates

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battle nav

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sicarius
Admin
Sicarius

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2006-12-06

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeWed Dec 06, 2006 6:24 am

Post your battle nav tips here.
Back to top Go down
http://catasrophe.darkbb.com
Aedia
Anonymous

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: From an ultimate...   Battle nav Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 9:25 am

No one can teach you bnav. However, I can give you some pointers. My tips all refer to Imperials (imps) and as I've not actually bnavved against anything other than Imps or PvP in over a year, I have no tips on anything else.

IMPS
1. They are going to get as close to you as they can.
2. They try to go behind if possible.
3. Do not LSM (last second move) repeatedly as they'll just do it to you.

Knowing those 3 things should help considerably.

The best thing in the world is to think through what they are likely to do to be able to fire on y ou the quickest, and counter that.
I do not ever advise purposely broadsiding, as you could get grappled early.

PvP

1. Most bnavvers think you're going to act like a bot.
2. The bnavvers that don't follow #1 think that you think they will act like a bot.

Keep this in mind. Watch them, don't get to close. If they move as if they think you're a bot this is super easy to counter. Imagine what a bot would do, how you would counter it and counter that.
If they move like they think YOU think they are a bot, this is also easy to counter. They'll expect you to move based on countering a bot, so counter that instead.
Back to top Go down
Sicarius
Admin
Sicarius

Number of posts : 23

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Battle navving   Battle nav Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2006 9:38 am

The best way to learn b-nav is to b-nav on the navy and practice.

It's alomst impossible to give a definitive way to b-nav as everyone will develop their own unique style that works well for them.

The main things you need to learn, is how many moves a ship can do each turn, the range of the cannons, the sequence of events in a slip stream and how to negotiate whirlpools.

The first is easy, a sloop and cutter can move 4 time each turn, anything else can only move 3 times.

Sloops, cutters and merch brigs can shoot 4 times each turn, the bigger ships can shoot 8. All but sloops can shot double that number if they shoot out both sides at once.

The range of all cannons is 3 squares.

The sequence of events when in a slip stream or whirlpool is as follows, per move.

1 - Any movement token
2 - The effect of the slipstream/whirlpool
3 - Any cannons will be fired
4 - Any grapple attempts will be made.

Knowing how to negotiate whirlpools can often be the difference between shooting your opponent, getting away or being shot or grappled.

Whirlpools can be rather difficult to learn, and the best way to learn them is to practice. The thing with whirlpools is that they will move you 180 degrees clockwise and your ship will turn 90 degrees in the same direction.

However, THE best way of learning how to b-nav effectively is to practice, practice, practice.
Back to top Go down
http://catasrophe.darkbb.com
Peache

Peache

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2006-12-07

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2006 4:25 am

I think I have the basics pretty well covered. I just don't get out there and practice enough. I go up and down from master to respected.

Lately I have been trying to pay attention to how others bnav, just watching their moves and seeing how they handle situations. I've had the privelege of sailing with some awesome bnavers and just watching what they do is a great help.
I am curious on one little thing though. Other than just practice, practice, practice..is there a way to get my rating higher?, for example a friend told me if I attack red ships I will go up faster.

I had a great link for a whirpool tutorial but I have lost it, It let you practice the moves as well. If anyone knows of one could you please post it. Whirlpools are one of the trickier parts to bnav to learn.
Back to top Go down
Askitz
Admin
Askitz

Number of posts : 32

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2006 6:38 am

try here Peache http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Whirlpool_tutorial

umm i should try there too hehe erg to whirlpools! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Peache

Peache

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2006 1:52 pm

oooh that's it, ty kitzy!
Back to top Go down
Swordmaster

Swordmaster

Number of posts : 46

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2006 7:24 am

Its quite hard to get higher than respected/master bnavving with the navy. This is because you don't attack imperials (imps) - navy sailors often encounter mostly harmless - sailor ranked brigands. I found that once i started leading my own pillages and bnavved against imps, my rating went up a lot faster - it is now legendary. pirat
Back to top Go down
Peache

Peache

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeMon Dec 18, 2006 1:44 pm

hmm ok, I guess it's time to stop being chicken and get out there and just do it!
Back to top Go down
Askitz
Admin
Askitz

Number of posts : 32

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2006 6:20 am

/e was going to stay out of the bnav section.. /e fails
ok when bnavving with the navy... only attack red imps(sloops cutters) and max/0 them
is what i did to get back into bnaving after not doing it for a year and rating went to gm that way and could probably go higher but pfft i rather just pillage.
mind you i have a bot gunning and 2 on sails , none on carp unless it gets bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Battle nav Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battle nav   Battle nav Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battle nav
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Catastrophe :: Puzzles!-
Jump to: